MHG524 - Burial Ground, Cille Mhaodain
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BURIAL GROUND (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The rectangular burial-ground, measuring 30m NE-SW by 28m, is defined by a lime-mortared wall. Attached to the NE side is the Maclean of Ardgour family enclosure, measuring 18m NE-SW by 10m. The interior of the main enclosure is overgrown with brambles.
Field Verification Project (West Lochaber) - J Robertson, 03/2004
(NN 0123 6565) Cille Mhaodain (NR)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1974)
Cille Mhaodain: This church, dedicated to St Modan, was erected in the 15th century by Ailean nan Creach, a chief of Lochiel.
Name Book 1871; Information from Rev A Stewart, Onich.
No trace and no local, knowledge of a church in the burial ground, which is still known as Cille Mhaodain and is still in use.
Visited by OS (R L) 7 July 1970.
Burial-ground, Cill Mhaodain: These remains comprise a rectangular enclosure within a lime-mortared wall of 19th century date, to which is attached the MacLean of Ardgour family enclosure of the same period. There are no visible traces of any internal structures, although the dedication to St Baodan indicates a site of considerable antiquity.
(Two 18th-century MacLean table-tombs are also described by the RCAHMS.) RCAHMS 1980, visited 1973.
Photographs were contributed by Martin Briscoe in July 2011 via the Highland HER Flickr group.
Martin Briscoe has submitted photographs of this site to the Highland HER Flickr group. <1>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1980. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona). . 134-5, No. 272.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 42, 27.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital. via Flickr.
|Grid reference||Centred NN 0123 6565 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.