MHG52514 - Boundary marker stone, Fort Augustus (6 of 12)
One of a possible 12 boundary stones thought to mark the "Government" lands of Fort Augustus.
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY STONE (Erected, 19th Century - 1857 AD to 1857 AD)
- BENCH MARK (Established, 19th Century - 1857 AD to 1871 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
Up to 12 boundary stones have been identified in and around Fort Augustus. These are War Department (WD) and Board of Ordnance (BO) markers. They are believed to mark the "Government" lands of Fort Augusutus. Several are inscribed with the date 1857.
In a survey report by Harry Robinson the stones are numbered BS-1 to BS-10, matching the numbers given on a plan of the stones in the HER files. A list of the stones has also been compiled by local heritage group Cill Chuimein Heritage which uses a different numbering system.
This is BS-6 (CCH no.4). It consists of a rectangular slab of granite cemented into the road-side wall and inscribed "WD 1857" under a Government arrow. It is also in use as a Ordnance Survey bench mark, calibrated to 112 ft OD. <1>
The bench mark is depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map c.1871. <2>
<1> Robinson, H, 2009, Archaeological Survey: Land to the west of Stavaigers Lodge, Abbey Gardens, Fort Augustus, pp 11-13 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24118.
<2> Ordnance Survey, 1871-4, Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Inverness (Image/Map). SHG23389.
|Grid reference||NH 37510 08838 (point) (Mastermap)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.