MHG52520 - Boundary marker stone, Fort Augustus (12 of 12)
One of a possible 12 boundary stones thought to mark the "Government" lands of Fort Augustus.
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY STONE (Erected, 19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
Up to 12 boundary stones have been identified in and around Fort Augustus. These are War Department (WD) and Board of Ordnance (BO) markers. They are believed to mark the "Government" lands of Fort Augusutus. Several are inscribed with the dates 1831 or 1857.
In a survey report by Harry Robinson the stones are numbered BS-1 to BS-10, matching the numbers given on a plan of the stones in the HER files. A list of the stones has also been compiled by local heritage group Cill Chuimein Heritage which uses a different numbering system.
This stone is listed as number 7 by Cill Chuimein Heritage. It may be seen from the opposite side of the canal and is located at the fence between the Abbey grounds and the "Clansman Centre". <1>
This is presumed to be the stone depicted on the Ordnance Survey Mastermap. <2>
|Grid reference||NH 37972 09188 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BOLESKINE AND ABERTARFF|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.