MHG52558 - Possible enclosure, Torrbuidhe
A possible enclosure ditch was noted during a watching brief. It appears that it originally continued eastwards under the present road alignment.
Type and Period (4)
- ENCLOSURE? (Late Bronze Age to 18th Century - 1250 BC? to 1800 AD?)
- DITCH (Late Bronze Age to 18th Century - 1250 BC? to 1800 AD?)
- (Alternate Type) FIELD BOUNDARY? (16th Century to 18th Century - 1560 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- HOMESTEAD? (Early Iron Age to Medieval - 550 BC? to 1559 AD?)
- None recorded
An infilled ditch was identified during a watching brief in 2008. It had a shallow concave profile measuring 1.2m wide and 0.3 deep. It is thought that it originally continued eastwards under the present road. No dating evidence was recovered. It is suggested that the ditch may have originally surrounded a slight knoll to the east of the road, possibly some form of enclosure or homestead. Alternatively the ditch may have been a field boundary which was dug to catch the run-off from the knoll, possibly in the pre-crofting period. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NC 73895 04126 (34m by 25m) (Estimated from sources)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/300389/details/rogart+torrbuidhe/ (View site information held by NMRS on Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.