MHG52691 - Building 1, Brickigoe Croft
A late 18th or early 19th-century longhouse.
Type and Period (1)
- LONGHOUSE (Built, 18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD to 1850 AD (at some time))
- None recorded
This building was recorded by RCAHMS in 2004 as part of a survey of the Yarrows area. The building measured 25m by 5m with walls standing up to 1.4m in height. Three interconnected compartments were noted, the largest of which was a byre at the eastern end in which a single flagstone stall divider was visible. Three cruck-slots were noted in the NNE wall, and an ambry was present in the wall of the western compartment. <1>
The building was fully recorded, planned and photographed in May 2009 as a condition of planning consent for a new house. Two trial trenches were also excavated across the north and south walls.
The building was tentatively interpreted as a unitary build overlying an earlier drain or wall footing. There was no visible evidence for built fireplaces in the gable walls, suggesting a late 18th or early 19th-century date. The west end of the building went out of use as a dwelling probably at the same time as Building 3 was constructed and occupied. The east end of this building probably continued in use as a byre throughout the occupation of the site. The abandoned dwelling appears to have suffered a partial collapse of the south wall some time after 1871. This may have been followed by rough re-flooring and rebuild and may have been brought back into use as a workshop or animal shelter.
It is believed that the north wall of the building is to be reduced to a height of 0.5m and the building interior soil-filled to protect the underlying archaeology. <2>
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital. 04/12/2007.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 89866.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Humphreys, P and Wood, J. 06/2009. Brickigoe Croft, Thrumster: Building Recording, Trial Trenching Evaluation. Highland Archaeology Services Ltd. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 30140 44722 (25m by 9m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (4)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/183593/details/brickigoe/ (View the entry for this site on RCAHMS Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.