MHG53306 - Possible souterrain - Borve, Skye
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SOUTERRAIN (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
Noted. No further information provided. <1>
An interim report on the souterrain was forwarded to the HER in April 2008. The souterrain and an associated paved area, comprised of heat-affected stones, was recorded during a watching brief for house construction at Borve. 45 small finds, including pottery, stone tools, slag and flint, along with burnt bone and pebbles, were recovered. The souterrain appears to run north-south, possibly continuing under the fence, and to the northwest. Initial examination of the pottery suggests it is possibly Bronze Age, which would make this souterrain earlier than previously recorded examples in Skye and further afield. The souterrain is approximately 5.40m long with a possible dog leg connecting to the area east of the heat effected slabs. A further 4.50m includes the area in which possible post holes, minor ‘ditches’ and slag have been found. At present the depth of the souterrain, based on a small sondage at its southern end, is estimated at 0.50m, although this may extend by a further 0.20m. <2>
Site visit photographs were taken by K Cameron of the Highland Council, showing the souterrain under excavation. <3>
Note: based upon the current sources, the exact extent of this site cannot be fully determined, so the NGR here given should be considered as centred. <4>
The location of this souterrain is indicated in geospatial data supplied by West Coast Archaeological Services in connection with a watching brief to the south. <5>
- <1> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2010. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 300390.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Garry, N. 04/2008. Interim Report, Borve, Skye. Alba Archaeology Ltd. 04/2008. Digital.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Garry, N.. 2008?. Draft Report, Borve, Skye. Alba Archaeology Ltd. Digital.
- <3> Image/Photograph(s): Cameron, K. Site Visit Photographs. Colour. . Digital.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <5> Collection/Project Archive: Birch, S. 10/2011. New House Site and Associated Works at 29-30 Borve, Isle of Skye. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 45594 47651 (16m by 16m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/300390/ (View information held by RCAHMS on Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.