MHG53367 - WW1 Training Trenches - Broomhill
A complex of WW1 training trenches at Broomhill.
Type and Period (1)
- TRENCH (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
A complex of WW1 training trenches at Broomhill. They were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017.
To the west of Broomhill No. 1 and No. 3 cottages, on a level terrace bounded to the north and west by a stream and by farmland to the south, are the remains of a complex of military training trenches. The trenches with a distinctive zig-zag shape form three separate lines of trenches connected by two communication trenches. The earthwork remains are best preserved to the north with a maxinium depth of 0.7m, but elsewhere are shallow and difficult to locate especially to the south. Information from the owner suggested these were constructed during the First World War. The trenches are similar to other confirmed examples.
Visited by RCAHMS (AKK) 26 September 2009 <1>
The trenches are about 2.4km NNE of Invergordon and are almost certainly practice trenches dug by men of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, who had a large training camp near Invergordon for virtually the whole of the First World War.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <2> <3> <4>
The practice trenches were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2017. <5>
GIS spatial data amended in 2018 according to site as seen on 2009 vertical Aps. <6>
- <1> Dataset: RCAHMS. 02/2010. Annual update from Canmore. Digital. 300603.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 300603.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 68, table 49.
- <4> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 856.
- <5> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13641: Broomhill training trenches, 100m WNW of Breezy Brae. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <6> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 71911 71416 (138m by 107m) (Approximate)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
|Civil Parish||KILMUIR EASTER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13641 (View online HES Designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/300603/broomhill (View record on HES Canmore website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.