MHG54003 - Linear Boundary Dyke, Mount Eagle Forest
A linear boundary dyke, associated with post-medieval land division, recorded during field survey.
Type and Period (1)
- DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A heather- and turf-covered earthen mound approximately 1m in width by 0.5m in height forming a linear boundary dyke aligned northwest-southeast. The beginning and end of the dyke were difficult to ascertain within the mounded terrain, which was a result of tree planting, although the boundary appears to terminate with the forest boundary at the southeast end.
The landowners of the Black Isle had been slowly extending their estates from the 1770s by settling mailers on the Mulbuie commonty. The commonty was officially divided in 1829. Such settlement and division would have resulted in the creation of boundary dykes. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6462 5739 (300m by 187m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.