MHG54056 - Prehistoric settlement evidence, Borrodale
61 features, mostly representing the truncated remains of an area of prehistoric settlement remains occupying an area of unusually fertile land. Other features, probably related to post medieval agricultural use, were also noted.
Type and Period (2)
- SETTLEMENT (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The truncated remains of prehistoric and later settlement evidence were recorded firstly during evaluation and then by excavation along the route of the A830, during improvement works.
61 features were recorded in a total, in an L-shaped trench, 28 x 70m. A sample of the pits were excavated, chosen where the presence of surface lithics, substantial charcoal or clearly differentiated fills was noted. Sixty-three worked quartz, flint and bloodstone objects were collected, possibly dating to the Bronze Age.
A number of undated linear features, of uknown use, were recorded running north-south across the stripped area. Two clearance cairns were also recorded. <1>
Monitoring of topsoil stripping across the area of the previously excavated settlement recorded nine further features, largely pits but with little artefactual material in them. A short finds report is included. <2>
A post-excavation archive report, produced in May 2008, includes a report on lithic analysis, charcoal analysis and on the post-medieval finds from the site, as well as a discussion of the results of the work at the two sites either side of the burn (see MHG54062). No material suitable for radiocarbon dating was recovered from the site and the lithic material was not diagnostic enough to give a more precise date than 'late prehistoric'. <3> The finds from the 2007 topsoil stripping work are discussed in <2>
The excavation assemblage from the 2007 work was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 30/11) and allocated to the NMS. From this site were only two lithics. They are listed under Acc. No. 2010.11 in the NMS catlaogue. <4> <5> <6>
- <1> Text/Report: Suddaby, I and White, R. 02/2006. A830 Upgrading - Loch nan Uamh to Arisaig, Lochaber. CFA Archaeology Ltd. . Digital. pp.13-17.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Richardson, P. 06/2008. A830 Upgrading: Loch Nan Uamh to Arisaig, Lochaber, Highland: Archaeological Watching Brief. CFA Archaeology Ltd. Digital. pp.5-6.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Suddaby, I. 2008. A multi-period site at Borrodale, Lochaber, Highland, excavated in advance of the A830(T) Upgrading, Loch Nan Uamh to Arisaig: Post-Excavation Archive Report. CFA Archaeology Ltd. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <4> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 30/11.
- <5> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 30/11.
- <6> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. 2012.11.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6941 8513 (93m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Mesolithic to Late Iron Age - 8000 BC to 560 AD)
- FLAKE? (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/296364 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.