EHG1373 - A830 Upgrading: Loch nan Uamh to Arisaig, Lochaber
CFA Archaeology Ltd
A programme of archaeological excavations and recording was undertaken by CFA Archaeology Ltd (CFA) between September and November 2005. These took place within the corridor of the proposed A830 Fort William to Mallaig Trunk Road upgrading, between Loch Nan Uamh in the south-east and Arisaig in the north-west. The work was commissioned by Historic Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Ministers. Significant sites at Arisaig, Borrodale and Lochan Torr na Nighinn (Brunary Burn) were excavated, with additional work being undertaken at a number of other sites of less significance. <1> As a follow up to the 2005 work, a monitored topsoil strip was carried out in July and August 2007, targeted on areas that had previously been shown to be of archaeological sensitivity. <2> This record represents the 'parent record' for a number of different watching briefs and programmes of excavation which were undertaken along the A830 route. Please refer to 'children' records for details of individual Events. Where no substantial further fieldwork was undertaken, Monument records have been attached directly to this Event. <3> The excavation assemblage from the project is listed in the NMS catalogue under Acc. No. 2012.11. <4>
- <1> SHG22428 Text/Report: Suddaby, I and White, R. 02/2006. A830 Upgrading - Loch nan Uamh to Arisaig, Lochaber. CFA Archaeology Ltd. . Digital.
- <2> SHG24991 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Richardson, P. 06/2008. A830 Upgrading: Loch Nan Uamh to Arisaig, Lochaber, Highland: Archaeological Watching Brief. CFA Archaeology Ltd. Digital.
- <3> SHG24799 Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
- <4> SHG28278 Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. 2012.11.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6911 8550 (5447m by 2419m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
|Operational Area||ROSS SKYE AND LOCHABER|
Related Monuments/Buildings (6)
- MHG54058 Drystone revetting wall, Beasdale Burn (Monument)
- MHG54060 Drystone wall, W of Beasdale Cottages (Monument)
- MHG54059 Former Alignment of A830 (Monument)
- MHG54061 Milestone, Beasdale Cottages (Monument)
- MHG17278 Road Bridge Over Brunery Burn, Larichmore (Monument)
- MHG54057 Rose Cottage, Arisaig (Building)
Child/subsequent Site Events/Activities (6)
- EHG2944 Trial Excavation, Burnt Mound, Arisaig (A830 improvements)
- EHG3369 Excavation, West Borrodale (A830 improvements)
- EHG3370 Evaluation and Excavation, Farmstead at Lochan Torr na Nighinn (Brunary Burn) (A830 improvements)
- EHG3371 Monitoring of Topsoil Stripping, Brunary Burn
- EHG3373 Monitoring of Topsoil Stripping and Excavation, Borrodale West
- EHG3374 Monitoring of topsoil stripping and excavation, Borrodale East
Record last edited
May 4 2020 9:40PM