MHG54062 - Possible settlement features, Borrodale East
A scattered number of pit features and a drain were recorded E of Borrodale Burn.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A scattered number of pits, a drain and another feature were recorded during monitoring of work on the A830 improvements. Most of the features contains post-medieval pottery, although some lithic material was found. <1>
A post-excavation archive report discusses sites both E and W (see MHG54056) of the burn. The features recorded to the E probably represent post-medieval use of this area. <2> The finds from the 2007 topsoil stripping work are discussed in <1>
The excavation assemblage from the 2007 work was submitted to Treasure Trove (TT 30/11) and allocated to the NMS. From this site, were a small quartz chip, 2 sherds of a transfer-printed plate, 2 base fragments of a redware jar, a sherd of handpainted Chinese porcelain, and 5 sherds of an undecorated refined whiteware vessel, all probably 19th century, and 1 sherd of mid to late 18th-century creamware. They are listed under Acc. No. 2010.11 in the NMS catalogue. <3> <4> <5>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Richardson, P. 06/2008. A830 Upgrading: Loch Nan Uamh to Arisaig, Lochaber, Highland: Archaeological Watching Brief. CFA Archaeology Ltd. Digital. pp. 6-7.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Suddaby, I. 2008. A multi-period site at Borrodale, Lochaber, Highland, excavated in advance of the A830(T) Upgrading, Loch Nan Uamh to Arisaig: Post-Excavation Archive Report. CFA Archaeology Ltd. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Treasure Trove. 2019. Highland Finds from Treasure Trove Annual Reports 2004-18. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 30/11.
- <4> Text/Record Form: Treasure Trove. 2019. Treasure Trove Artefact Reports for Highland Area 1994-2018. Treasure Trove. Digital. TT 30/11.
- <5> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. 2012.11.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6955 8506 (80m by 64m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
- FLAKE (Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC? to 551 BC?)
- SHERD (18th Century to 19th Century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.