MHG54088 - Ballichrach Farm, Netherton
A farmstead is shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Noted in Ordnance survey Name Book as 'This name applies to a farmhouse and outbuilding situatd about a quarter mile east of Culbokie. They are all one storey height, built of stone and thatched and are the property of Captain J 0 Mackenzie of Mountgerald by Tain'.
Marked on 1st edition OS of 1880 (sheet 77) as 2 buildings with well. Marked on 2nd edition of 1907 as 3 buildings with well. Group of 3 buildings to N of house marked on OS map of 1992, not marked on latest OS map. Visible on aerial photograph of 1946 (3055) as 2 L-shaped ranges with 3 other buildings and on aerial photograph of 1967 (49).
Walkover reveals one building to NE of house of farm of rubble sandstone with a corrugated-iron roof currently used as garage. Area to SW of long grass. <1>-<4>
- <1> SHG3363 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. p.15.
- <2> SHG23422 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> SHG23423 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <4> SHG22015 Text/Report: Farrell, S. 2003. Report of Archaeological Desktop & Walkover Survey, Duncanston Water Mains Renewal Project. Unaffiliated. . . Site 11.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6018 5970 (63m by 66m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.