MHG54214 - Possible standing stone, Castle Leod
A stone is marked on modern mapping in the grounds of Castle Leod.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE? (Erected, Neolithic to 20th Century - 4000 BC? to 1968 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
Stone shown on modern mapping. Not shown on historic mapping, so some doubts must remain as to how old it is. <1>
This stone was noted during a study of the astronomical alignments of two stones, at Kilvannie, which stand 1,230m to the E. It is 0.90m high, 0.74m wide by 0.55m thick, is made of shist and is aligned N-S. The stone has the appearance of being broken and could be the stump of a larger megalith. Now obscured by trees, it is suggested that it may have formed an alignment with the stones at Kilvannie for determining the sun at equinoxes. <2>
A project of surveying and recording the archaeological sites within the grounds of Castle Leod was carried out by members of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS) in the winter of 2012-13.
Site 4. A standing stone, 0.8m in height x 0.5m thick x 0.8 width, has no carvings. Considering that this site was occupied by “Offices” (marked on the 1762 map), this stone is probably not in its original position. It does not appear on the 1st Edition OS map. <3>
NGR adjusted based on 2018 aerial photographs. <4>
- <1> SHG23361 Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
- <2> SHG3508 Text/Manuscript: Scott, D. 03/1986. The Solar Alignment At Kilvannie, Ross-shire.. Yes.
- <3> SHG26320 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: North of Scotland Archaeological Society. 2013. Report of an archaeological survey of the Policies of Castle Leod, Strathpeffer, Ross-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.10,11,12.
- <4> SHG28282 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2018. Getmapping aerial photography 2018. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 48720 59185 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.