MHG54227 - Ditches and postholes - Milton of Leys
A number of ditch features, and possible postholes were located during archaeological evaluation. They could not be dated, but may be related to a nearby possible Neolithic settlement.
Type and Period (2)
- DITCH (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
- POST HOLE? (Neolithic - 4000 BC? to 2401 BC?)
- None recorded
During the removal of topsoil, two very large, subrounded stones were uncovered. These stones had dimensions of approximately 1.25 by 1 by 0.4 m and 1.4 by 1.2 by 0.5 m respectively. The trench was extended to allow the investigation of the area around these stones. A large area of dark brown silt was revealed to the west of
the stones and two curvilinear features were identified to the east. The dark silt contained a concentration of sub-rounded and rounded stones up to 0.25 by 0.2 by 0.2 m in size. This concentration was not excavated. A 0.25 m slot was excavated through one of the curvilinear features to reveal it as a shallow feature 0.35 m wide with maximum depth of 0.05 m. It was filled with a mid dark sand silt which contained approximately 20% small sub-rounded stones to a size of 0.1 m in diameter. No artefacts were recovered. <1>
No evidence of these features were identified during a latter stage of evaluation. Four possible postholes were
identified, three at the west end of the trench and one at the east end. All were of a similar size, c. 0.4 m in diameter and c. 0.15 m in depth. Together, these features formed no discernible structure and no artefacts were retrieved from them. No date can, therefore, be assigned. <2>
Radiocarbon dates from similar features nearby (MHG54230) returned Neolithic dates, and it is possible that these features are part of the same possible Neolithic settlement. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Duncan, J S. 1999. Milton of Leys: An archaeological evaluation on behalf of Tulloch Homes. Glasgow University (GUARD). 16/04/1999. Digital (scanned as PDF). Trench 51.
- <2> Text/Report: Halliday, S. 09/2000. Milton of Leys: Results of an Archaeological Evaluation. Headland Archaeology Ltd. . . Area 2.
- <3> Text/Publication/Article: Conolly, R. et al. 2003. A possible Neolithic settlement at Milton of Leys, A possible Neolithic settlement at Milton of Leys, A Possible Neolithic Settlement at Milton of Leys, Inverness. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotl. 35-45. Online. Illus 1.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6957 4165 (28m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (2)
- http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-352-1/dissemination/pdf/vol_133/133_0002_1.pdf (Click to view published article)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/184929/milton-of-leys-inverness (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.