MHG54233 - Prehistoric settlement - Beechwood, Inverness
A complex of ditches, pits and postholes, recorded during archaeological evaluation, comprise a probable Bronze Age/Iron Age settlement. Grooved Ware found on the site may also indicate in-situ Late Neolithic activity on the site.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 3200 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A complex of features were recorded in Area A, during the first stage of archaeological evaluation at Beechwood. The features consisted of a cluster of postholes, pits and ditches, some intercutting, and some containing Later Prehistoric Pottery. One of the pits in Trench 1 contained a sherd of Grooved Ware, together with coarse prehistoric pottery. In trench 3, a ditch terminus was excavated, with a rounded base. A quantity of impressed daub was recorded, pressed against the Eastern side of the terminus. This ditch terminus cut a pit feature.
These features suggest a later prehistoric settlement of Bronze Age or Iron Age date, consisting of a ditched enclosure with a number of post built structures. The sherd of Grooved Ware may indicate on-site Neolithic activity dating to the end of the 4th millennium BC. <1>
Further evaluations took place over the rest of the site in October 2010. These revealed numerous features of archaoelogical significance including curvilinear ditches and a variety of pit and post-hole features. Artefacts recovered included a single flint flake and prehistoric pottery sherds. The archaeological data is suggestive of Bronze Age/Iron Age later prehistoric settlement comprising ditched enclosures and timber post-built structures. <2>
This is a general record for all the findings thus far pending the results of the next stage of work at which point the records will be split. <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Engl, R and Clements, V. 01/2009. East Beechwood Farm, Inverness, Highland: Archaeological Evaluation Phase 1, Stage 1. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital. Area A.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Engl, R. 11/2010. East Beechwood, Inverness: Archaeological Evaluation (October 2010). AOC Archaeology Group. Digital.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6918 4497 (697m by 1030m)|
|Civil Parish||INVERNESS AND BONA|
- SHERD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- DAUB (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
- SHERD (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- FLAKE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.