MHG54236 - Boundary stones, Croit Ruadh, Lochcarron

Summary

Eight croft boundary stones of the Brown Croft, Croit Ruadh, are shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey mapping. Two stones remain in situ.

Type and Period (2)

  • BOUNDARY STONE (19th Century to 20th Century - 1801 AD to 2000 AD)
  • CROFT (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Information from Paul Swan. 8 boundary stones are shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. Two round topped stones remain in situ. The other stones were removed during extensions to the golf club car park and during extension of the graveyard.

These boundary stones demarcate Croit Ruadh ("Brown Croft"). Croit Ruadh was approximately one and a quarter acres in size and presumably laid out at about the same time as all the other crofts in Lochcarron (c1800), but as to why it was this odd shape and name is sadly, lost.

Further information was added to <1> by Paul Swan in July 2011. Further research has thrown up an alternative name of "Croit-cruaidh" (hard or stony croft) as this croft is on an old gravel bank (raised bank). It is now thought that this croft is much older than the neat crofting strips above Lochcarron, possibly going back as far as the medieval period. <1><2>

Sources/Archives (2)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 9146 4136 (37m by 149m)
Map sheet NG94SW
Geographical Area ROSS AND CROMARTY
Civil Parish LOCHCARRON

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.