MHG54303 - Possible road or trackway, Balmakeith Industrial Estate, Nairn
A possible trackway associated with an earlier phase or alignment of the A96.
Type and Period (3)
- (Former Type) FEATURE (Unknown date)
- TRACKWAY (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- ROAD (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A large amorphous spread (025), possibly a large pit, was identified at the north of the evaluation area in Trenches 16 and 17. One of the linear features terminated at this feature. <1>
This spread was further investigated in early 2011 when three areas were opened up. This lay in Area 2 and proved to be a large linear feature (renumbered 216), possibly the remains of a trackway associated with an earlier phase or alignment of the A96 which runs parallel to it. This feature varied in size from between 2.1 and 8.5 m in width and 0.1 m to 0.65 m in depth and had fairly gradual sloping sides with a slightly concave base. It was filled with a maximum of five silted deposits , , , , and  with a concentration of small stones located at the base. This feature continued into the baulk at both sides of the area, and continued within Area 1. However, it had been completely machined away during the initial stripping of Area 1, and could only be seen in section.
The historic maps do appear to show some changes in the alignment of this road, however the accuracy of the maps in this area is low therefore the function of this feature remains uncertain. <2>
The adjacent field has displayed cropmarks of a possible earlier alignment of the A96 (see MHG29795). <3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Richardson, P. 10/2008. Sainsbury’s, Balmakeith Industrial Estate, Nairn: Archaeological Evaluation. CFA Archaeology Ltd. 16/10/2008. Digital. pp 6-8.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: McNicol, D. 06/2011. Retail Development at Balmakeith Industrial Estate, Nairn: Archaeological Excavation. Headland Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Feature 216.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 29/06/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8948 5619 (55m by 12m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.