MHG54317 - Carved stone, west of Torran, Kishorn
A fragment of finely carved stone built into a field wall.
Type and Period (1)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1058 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- None recorded
A fragment of carved stone was noted built into a field wall during a watching brief during construction of a waste water treatment plant. Due to the partial collapse of the wall it could be seen that the stone was highly worked, with visible traces of fine parallel broaching on the underside. The majority of the stone appears to form an octagon. The stone measures 0.35m across and 0.45m in length and its depth could not be established. Photographs of the stone can be seen in the attached report. It is suggested that the stone could have come from the nearby St Donan's Chapel (see MHG7691). It would possibly have formed part of a door jamb or perhaps, due to the fine carving, a window mullion although a glazing groove was not noted. The boundary wall will not be affected by the development and the carved stone will remain in situ. <1>
|Grid reference||NG 8351 4000 (point)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.