MHG54342 - Boundary wall, Rogie
A turf and stone boundary dyke.
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENCLOSURE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Turf and drystone boundary wall that meets Site 17 at its W end; aligned E-W. 1.4-2.0m spread wide (spread), 0.3-0.6m high.
The bank joins the ditch / bank (Site 17) to west and mostly disappears below a post and wire fence to the east. The wall appears on the 1st edition OS 6-inch map as an enclosure roughly square-shaped. Although degraded at the time of survey, the map evidence shows that the enclosure wall once comprised of the stone/turf bank running N-S in Site 17, and adjoined the sheepfold, Site 16, at its N end and continuing eastward by Site 19. <1><2>
The 1st edition Ordnance Survey map does not seem consistent with the description above or the feature as surveyed. <3><4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Peteranna, M.. 09/2010. Garve to Strathpeffer Water Main Line Renewal: Archaeological Walkover Survey. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 20.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Peteranna, M. 09/2010. Garve to Strathpeffer Water Main Line Renewal: Archaeological Walkover Survey. West Coast Archaeological Services. Digital. Site 20.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1881. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4410 5931 (97m by 13m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.