MHG54367 - Site of lower township, Scardroy
Site of Keanloch Beanchran township (lower) at the west end of Loch Beannacharain. The core of the original township is now occupied by Scardroy Lodge and its policies. The remains of only 3 buildings, a corn drying kiln and several pits are now visible.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Site of Keanloch Beanchran township at the west end of Loch Beannacharain. The core of the original township is now occupied by Scardroy Lodge and its policies. The remains of only 3 buildings, a corn drying kiln and several pits are now visible. Much of the surrounding land is now improved pasture and is predominantly marshy. The features are located around two prominent knolls on the valley floor. The upper township is situated 500m to the NW and was originally recorded by as a part of the RCAHMS First Edition Survey Project. <1>
This township was surveyed by NOSAS in 2007/8 as part of phase 2 of a larger project covering Strathconon. NMRS No NH25SW 0008, at the west end of Loch Beannacharain, is extensive and can be divided into 2 parts. The lower part, to the SW, is now occupied by the Lodge, the farmstead and other associated buildings, and was possibly the main part of the township. Today there is evidence of only 3 buildings, a corn drying kiln and several pits. These are sited around two prominent knolls on the valley floor to the south of the track. Much of the land has been improved but is now marshy. To the north of the road there is a small pine plantation adjacent to the Lodge and the farmstead.
The structures recorded in the lower township were probably part of the original township of Keanloch Beanchran (marked on estate plan of 1825) which was later replaced by Scardroy Lodge. The upper township is on extremely marginal land and the farms here may have been established as a result of clearance from the original township of Keannloch Beachrain.
The remains of a kilnbarn (Nosas Site Survey No.401 ) at NH 21455 51553
Pit (Nosas Site Survey No.650) at NH 21325 51611 on the E side of a small knoll.
Pit (Nosas Site Survey No.651) at NH 21498 51628 A pit on a low knoll
The footings of a building (Nosas Site Survey No.652) at NH 21559 51549. Situated close to the waterfall on the River Meig on a NE facing slope.
(Nosas Site Survey No.653) Earth bank - A low, eroded and discontinuous turf wall.
A series of 4 pits (Nosas Site Survey No.654) in close proximity at NH 21578 51465.
The well defined footings of a rectangular building (Nosas Site Survey No.655)on a NE-SW axis NW of a prominent knoll at NH21331 51560.
Oval pit,(Nosas Site Survey No.656) located some 2m to the N,diameter 1.5m x 0.5m deep.
The footings of a building (Nosas Site Survey No.657) at NH 21400 51709 situated on top of a small knoll. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 21419 51580 (346m by 283m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/301883/ (View RCAHMS Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.