MHG54404 - Shieling group, Coire Mhoraigean
The lower of two shieling groups comprising the remains of six buildings.
Type and Period (2)
- SHIELING (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- SHIELING MOUND (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
159 The lower of two shieling groups in Coire Mhoraigean were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project at NH 1995 4900. There are the remains of 6 buildings, two of which are oval shieling mounds whilst four are rectangular, three with stone footings and one with an outshot. They are located at NH 19877 48990, NH 19880 48979, NH 19916 48939, NH 19887 49027, NH 19903 48939 and NH 20025 48725. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <2>
- <1> SHG24713 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2009. Report of Phase Two Scardroy and Upper Strathconon: May 2007 - December 2007. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.43 Site 159a.
- <2> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1985 4899 (9m by 9m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/302494 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.