MHG54676 - Skye, Camas Ban


No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • BUILDING (Undated)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

RCAHMS Canmore description:
Two buildings lie on a NE-SW axis along the W boundary dyke of an old arable field on the shore above Camas Ban. The first (S) building measures 5.5m x 7.1m externally with an entrance in the E wall, and is of dry-stone construction with rounded corners. The second (N) building lies 4.4m to the N and measures 5.5m x 10.6m externally, with squared corners and a mortar pointing. There is evidence of a chimney in the north gable, the highest wall standing, and an entrance in the E wall. The poorly preserved remains of a third building measuring c5m x 3m externally, lies on the opposite side of the dyke c 25m to the SW. All of the buildings have been robbed to low stone footings and it is not possible to discern any window openings, although the two principal buildings are known to have been dwellings, probably built as workers’ houses for Claigan Farm.

These buildings are shown on the First Edition OS map, but only the N building is depicted as roofed. It remained roofed and was used as a cattle shelter until the 1950s when its corrugated iron roofing was removed to make additions and improvements to Claigan Fank (NG25SW 37). Stones from the buildings and from the seawall between the arable land and the shore, were robbed for building the foundations of the byre at No 1 Claigan.

In 1840-41, Claigan shepherd, William Anderson, is recorded living here (MacLeod of MacLeod Estate Papers, Vol 1, 644/5 and 1841 census returns). The N building was occupied spasmodically until c1940, the last occupant using it as temporary accommodation while he built the house at No 3 Claigan.

A track from Claigan to Camus Ban was built by the MacLeod estate to extract coral from the shore there. It crosses a shallow ford in the stream which cuts through the field in front of the buildings.
Infromation from Marjorie MacInnes, October 2010. <1>

Sources/Archives (1)



Grid reference NG 2244 5451 (point) Approximate. Point generated from 2011 NMRS download data
Map sheet NG25SW
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish DUIRINISH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.