MHG55067 - Site of curling pond, Broad Wood, Maryburgh
The site of a curling pond depicted on 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey mapping.
Type and Period (1)
- CURLING POND (Constructed, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1876 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
The Ordnance Survey 1st and 2nd edition maps record the presence of a rectangular curling pond, aligned NW-SE, just east of the route of an overhead power line. <1>-<3>
There was no visible evidence for the curling pond at the location previously recorded on the Ordnance Survey map. The area was covered in woodland which limited visibility, a number of highland cattle were being kept in the wooded area and the animals had badly churned up the ground. <3>
This site now lies beneath houses and gardens at the end of Birch Drive. <4>
- <1> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1871-76. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1904. Ordnance Survey 2nd edition 25 inch map: Ross-shire. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: CFA Archaeology Ltd. 2008-2010. Beauly-Dounreay 275kV Overhead Transmission Line: Second Circuit Environmental Statement. Chapter 10: Cultural Heritage. CFA Archaeology Ltd. Digital. Site 437.2.
- <4> Verbal Communication: Tilbury, S. Comment by Sylvina Tilbury, HER Officer. 24/08/2011.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 5370 5636 (47m by 35m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.