MHG55552 - Findspot of Viking hoard, Skye
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval to Norse - 901 AD? to 1100 AD?)
- None recorded
Viking silver hoard consisting of at least 7 ring-money fragments found in a mound somewhere on Skye in 1850 (exact findspot not known). Three of the fragments were joined in the 19th century, which later broke again and was badly repaired. At least one piece is missing from the reconstructed ring. The hoard dates to the 10th/11th century.
Presented to the NMS in 1863 (X.IL 119-122).
Called Skye No. 2 in Graham-Campbell's corpus. (Graham-Campbell 1995, p. 105, illustrated on plate 4). <1> <2> <3> <4>
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Broadford. Yes. Digital. Site 49.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1865. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 5 1862-4, p.9-18,30-3,61-5,81-4,109-16,122-9,185-9,213-22,239-42,284-9,300-3,322-331. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-18,30-3,61-5,81-4,109-1. pp. 127, no. 7.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Graham-Campbell, J.. 1995. The Viking-Age Gold and Silver of Scotland (AD 950-1100). Paper (Original). pp. 105, no. 19.
- <4> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. IL 119-IL 122.
|Grid reference||NG 45000 29999 (point) (GPS derived)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- RING MONEY (CURRENCY) (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-043-666-C& (Link to NMS online collections database entry)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.