MHG55860 - Site of house - Inverness Airport, Petty
The site of a probably post-medieval house belonging to a smith was identified during a DBA in 2002 for a new access road to Inverness Airport.
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The approximate site of a probably post-medieval house belonging to a smith was identified on historic maps during a DBA in 2002 by SUAT for a new access road to Inverness Airport. It is shown on estate maps belonging to the Earls of Moray until 1842. During a walkover survey as part of the same project it was noted that its approximate location now lies near the entrance to the airport under mown grass and bit-mac surface of a car park. From cartographic evidence the building was susequently called 'Ballavlaar' and finally 'Moss Side'. <1>
On the OS 1st Edition map a small building, possibly a house, is shown approximately 130m to the northeast of the position indicated in the 2002 DBA report at NGR 276583 851796. Could this be the smith's house? The smithy itself, which could also be the location of the smith's house, was located to the northwest at 276262 851996. The latter is part of a dispersed group of buildings, labelled 'Mid Kerrowgair' (see MHG55861).
|Grid reference||Centred NH 7645 5174 (86m by 86m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.