MHG55909 - Dyke - west of Orrin Power Station, Urray
The remains of a dyke were noted during a walkover survey by AOC Archaeology Group in 2008 in advance of works associated with the proposed Fairburn Wind Farm.
Type and Period (1)
- DYKE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
A dyke was noted by AOC Archaeology in 2008 during a walkover as part of a reassessment for the Environmental Statement for the proposed Fairburn Windfarm. It had not been noted in the original assessment (also by AOC) in 2005. It was located during examination of the access road and appeared as a low stone-built linear alignment of stone. Up to 3 courses of stone survived, with stones measuring from 0.2m by 0.16m by 0.15 m to 0.46 m by 0.2 m by 0.32 m. The stones were unworked field stones and no bonding material was present. <1>
The dyke was noted west of Orrin Power Station during a walkover survey by Wardell Armstrong in 2011 in advance of works associated with the replacement Beauly-Mossford OHL. It did not appear to have any associations with any other features. It was considered that the impact on the dyke would be minimal although it would be crossed by a proposed access track. <2>
It was also noted in the assessement for the Environmental Statement for an extension to Fairburn Windfarm by Headland Archaeology in 2013. It was described as a poorly preserved example of a common site type and of little value at local, regional or national level. <3>
- <1> SHG24453 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Hindmarch, E. 05/2008. Fairburn Windfarm: Walkover Survey Report. AOC Archaeology Group. Digital. Site 3.
- <2> SHG25772 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wardell Armstrong. 2012. Beauly Mossford 132kV Transmission Line Replacement Environmental Statement. Wardell Armstrong. Digital. p.12.26.
- <3> SHG26745 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: SSE Renewables. 2013. Environmental Statement - Fairburn Extension Wind Farm. SSE Renewables. Digital. Asset 1.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4340 5449 (60m by 193m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (3)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/298201 (View HES Canmore record for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.