MHG56040 - Quarry - Raven's Rock, Fodderty
A quarry noted by ARCH's Heritage Along the Kyle Line project in 2011.
Type and Period (1)
- QUARRY (20th Century - 1901 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
This quarry was noted in ARCH's Heritage Along the Kyle Line project in 2011. The Raven's Rock quarry was opened in 1923 in response to the demand for high quality stone for the 1920s road building programme. After a local landowner refused access from the east, six sidings were made on the Dingwall to Kyle railway line, two passing under stone crushers. They crushed 120 tons of stone a day, increasing to 160 tons. The quarry ceased working in 1939 and the sidings were removed in 1952. <1>
One of the rock crushers was in situ in 2011, clearly visible from the rail line. Its plaque identified it as a Blake Marsden crusher, made by H.R. Marsden Ltd, Leeds. Two photographs of the rock crusher were supplied. <2>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Thomas, J. 1977. Railways of the Scottish Highlands Series Vol. 5: The Skye Railway. pp.142-144.
- <2> Dataset/Database File: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2010-2012. Heritage Along the Kyle Line. Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes. MDB. Site 3.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 4590 6062 (148m by 148m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.archhighland.org.uk/heritage-along-the-kyle-line.asp (Link to ARCH project page)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.