MHG5689 - Bronze Pin - Eigg
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (CULTURE 800; CULTURE 1300; , Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
A Viking bronze pin, some 12 cm long, from Eigg (centred NM 4786) is in the NMAS (Acc No: BN 51).
S Grieg 1940
This pin was an item in a collection of material from Eigg which was donated to the NMAS by Prof N MacPherson is 1878 and 1882. Other articles (not recorded elsehwere) comprised: a sandstone whetstone, 6 1/4 ins long (BN 48); a stone whorl, 1 3/8 ins in diameter (BN 49), an iron ferrule (IL 168) and a portion of an iron sickle (IL 169).
NMAS Catalogue 1892
The iron artefacts (IL 168 & 169) demonstrably belong to Eigg Grave 2 from 1875 (see Macpherson 1878; Grieg, p. 68) (MHG3968). All the objects are most unlikely all to be from the same site on Eigg.
Pers comm. James Graham-Campbell. <1>
Also noted to have been donated to the NMAS by Prof N Macpherson from Eigg was a flint spearhead (See MHG5455; BN 47) and a LBA axehead (See MHG5690; BN 50).
Findspot location is known only to be 'Eigg'. Grid reference is indicative of Eigg only and does not represent a precise location. GW 26/06/19
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Grieg, S. 1940. Viking antiquities in Scotland. Vol.2, 168; fig.83.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NMAS. 1892. Catalogue of the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland. 96, 272.
- --- Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. BN 48-9, 51.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Fanning, T. 1983. Some aspects of the bronze ringed pin in Scotland. SHG23447. 324-42. 337, No.22.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Kruse, S. 2019-20. Note from Susan Kruse, Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). Yes.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 4500 8499 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Civil Parish||SMALL ISLES|
- WHETSTONE (Undated)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Undated)
- PIN (Norse - 800 AD? to 1300 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/22150 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.