MHG5745 - Possible chapel site, Kilmartin Burial Ground

Summary

A raised area in the centre of the burial ground which is thought to represent the remains of a possible chapel.

Type and Period (1)

  • CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Kilmartin (Burial Ground) (NAT)
OS 6"map, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)

Kilmartin: Name applies to an old graveyard. There are a number of ruins where the old church or chapel is supposed to have stood, but nothing is known about it in the neighbourhood.
Name Book 1878.

There was a chapel to St. Martin at Kilmartin (RCAHMS 1928) and where Kilmartin is named a church is possibly shown (M Martin 1934).
Information from OS (C F W) 10 November 1960.

A long-disused and turf-covered raised stone path leads from near the present gateway into the burial ground, directly towards a green mound near the centre, ending at its foot. The mound is occupied by a family burial enclosure of dry stone walling, 6.0m square, which doubtless occupies the site of the chapel, of which no trace could be found.
Visited by OS (A S P) 25 April 1961.

Photographs of the raised area mentioned above were submitted to the HER in February 2010 by Martin Briscoe. <1>

The 25'' First and Second edition Ordnance Survey maps show a building within a square enclosure. The location of these features has been estimated in relation to the feature currently mapped on OS Mastermap. <2><3>

Sources/Archives (5)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 48708 66865 (14m by 14m) (Centred)
Map sheet NG46NE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish KILMUIR

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.