MHG5745 - Possible chapel site, Kilmartin Burial Ground
A raised area in the centre of the burial ground which is thought to represent the remains of a possible chapel.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Kilmartin (Burial Ground) (NAT)
OS 6"map, Isle of Skye, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
Kilmartin: Name applies to an old graveyard. There are a number of ruins where the old church or chapel is supposed to have stood, but nothing is known about it in the neighbourhood.
Name Book 1878.
There was a chapel to St. Martin at Kilmartin (RCAHMS 1928) and where Kilmartin is named a church is possibly shown (M Martin 1934).
Information from OS (C F W) 10 November 1960.
A long-disused and turf-covered raised stone path leads from near the present gateway into the burial ground, directly towards a green mound near the centre, ending at its foot. The mound is occupied by a family burial enclosure of dry stone walling, 6.0m square, which doubtless occupies the site of the chapel, of which no trace could be found.
Visited by OS (A S P) 25 April 1961.
Photographs of the raised area mentioned above were submitted to the HER in February 2010 by Martin Briscoe. <1>
The 25'' First and Second edition Ordnance Survey maps show a building within a square enclosure. The location of these features has been estimated in relation to the feature currently mapped on OS Mastermap. <2><3>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Macleod, D J (ed.). 1934. A description of the Western Islands of Scotland circa 1695. 4th. map.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1928. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles. . 176, No. 563.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Briscoe, J M. 2008-11. Information and photographs of various sites submitted by Martin Briscoe. Colour. Yes. Digital.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1877. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25 inch map: Skye. Digital.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 48708 66865 (14m by 14m) (Centred)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11354 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.