MHG57455 - Shieling group and later features, Coille Innes Na Sine
The site of 10 substantial shieling huts,the stone footings of a later building and a length of stone and turf bank are located on the S bank of the River Meig on a gentle NW facing slope at the outflow of a number of tributary streams which issue onto the flatter ground and have formed a grassy delta.
Type and Period (2)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- WALL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
NH14NE 15 centred 1776 4878
The site of 10 substantial shieling huts, the stone footings of a later building and a length of stone and turf bank were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. They are located on the S bank of the River Meig on a gentle NW facing slope at the outflow of a number of tributary streams which issue onto the flatter ground and have formed a grassy delta.
The remains of a small but substantial rectangular building, a probable dwelling (Nosas Site Survey No 578) are located on the SW side of the River Meig at the confluence of a smaller tributary at NH 17769 48762. The building has drystone walls faced internally and externally some 0.7m wide and 0.5m high. The corners are square and there are traces of an internal dividing wall. There is also probably an entrance, c0.5m wide, in the N corner of the NW wall.
A discontinuous turf and stone bank (Nosas Site Survey No 583) bounding the S and E extent of the shieling ground, effectively enclosing the grassy improved area. It is probable that 2 phases of activity are represented as it is largely composed of turf N of the burn and more stone on the S side where it abuts the farmstead 578. Two clearance cairns were also identified within the area.The shieling huts (Nosas Site Survey Nos 572-577 and 579-582)are distributed N and S of the tributary burn and excepting 2 all lie within the boundary formed by the turf and stone bank. All are oval in plan, aligned cross-slope NE-SW and of similar dimensions,comprising low turf and stone wall footings up to 0.5m high, the maximum internal dimension being some 3.5m x 1.5m. Some exhibit small outshots or other slight modifications. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 APs <2>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2009. Report of Phase Two Scardroy and Upper Strathconon: May 2007 - December 2007. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.44 Site 583.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 1774 4882 (103m by 101m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/302486 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.