MHG57476 - Grain Mill, sluice, lade, dam, Milton
Grain Mill, sluice, lade, dam, Milton
Type and Period (4)
- GRAIN MILL (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SLUICE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- LADE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- DAM (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These mills, lades, ponds and sluices (1145 – 1157) - centred on NH303 554 (Grain mill, site 1157, - Nmrs No NH35NW 009) were recorded by NOSAS in 2007 as part of the Scotland's Rural Past Project. These sites are situated on the east bank of the Allt Mor, a large burn that drops steeply down to the River Meig in a series of waterfalls. The area has forestry plantation in its upper part, and is overgrown with rhododendrons and thick undergrowth. There are several phases of water management represented by the courses of two lades and two mill ponds, with at least four sluices. Evidence of 4 mills has been found. The mill (site 1157), pond (site 1150) and lade (site 1149) are marked on the 1st edition OS map of c1870 and also on an estate map of c 1853 and a specification, dated 1851, for the construction of a mill replacing an existing one has been located in NAS - GD433-3-3-6. The mill/wheel pit (site 1152), pond (site 1150) and lade (site 1146) are marked on the current OS map as “sawmill”. An earlier mill is depicted on the 1825 estate plan in the position of the building, 1145.
1145 Possible Mill - NH 30121 55500 A rectangular platform immediately above and just 4m from the main burn. It is rectangular, on a N-S alignment and 7m x 4m. At the NW corner there is a free standing crudely built piece of wall, 1m in height. The remains of the N wall have stone footings 0.4m high and of 1m spread. The E wall is slightly recessed into the slope; the course of the old lade, 1149, runs parallel just 2m distant. The whole site has been planted with trees. This may be marked on an 1825 plan of the estate as “mill”.
1146 Lade - NH 30120 55527 (NW end) to NH 36267 55445 (SE end). The most recent of the two lades is substantially built but grossly overgrown with rhododendrons. It has a NW-SE curving course and is c350m in length. For much of its length it is stone lined (bottom and sides); at the NW end it is 0.8m deep x 1m width. It enters the mill pond, 1150, at its SE end.
1147 Sluice - NH 30125 55531 Two sections to this wooden and iron sluice are hidden in the rhododendrons. One section controls the water into the lade, 1146, and one controls the water into the spillway back into the burn; this initially takes the course of the old lade, 1149, and after a few metres turns abruptly down to the main burn. The sluice here is 1.5m in width.
1148 Dam - NH 30120 55527 (E end) A stone faced dam 2m in height and c25m in length across the main burn appears to have had at least two phases. At its east end a length of concrete “wall” 0.7m high x 0.7m thick which rises above the present level of the dam wall may represent the old dam and may have extended right across. The lade 1146 penetrates it at the east end. The top edge of the dam over which the water runs is 2.5m thick and faced on its upper edge with stones which deflect the water into the lade. <1>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3013 5551 (47m by 81m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/108663 (Click to view HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.