MHG57477 - Bridge, track, Allt a’Ghrianain
Bridge, track, Allt a’Ghrianain
Type and Period (2)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- TRACK (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
The Allt a’Ghrianain is a tributary of the Allt a’Mhuillin which drains an extensive area of impoverished waste bog lands to the north of Milton. The Allt a’Ghrianain has a SE - NW flow and the surrounding area has evidence of peat workings.
1171 Stalkers track - NH 302 568 (S end) to NH 326 618 (N end disappears into Loch Luichart) A track which traverses the “wastelands” between the Allt Feith a Bhadain and Loch Luichart a distance of approximately 6kms. It is well defined in its S part (not explored to the north). A bridge, at NH 30463 57189 has some well preserved dry stone faced abutments and there is a cairn NH 30722 58105. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2008 APs <2>
GIS spatial data created in 2018 based on OS master map.<3>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Marshall, M. 2010. Report of Phase Three Loch Meig to Dalbreac: February 2008 to June 2008, August 2009 to October 2009. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.43 Site 1171.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2008. Getmapping aerial photography 2008. XY
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 3139 5926 (2377m by 4996m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/308546/allt-aghrianain (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.