MHG57774 - Hut circle - Maol Mor
A hut circle at Maol Mor.
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle at Maol Mor (Auchtertyre). First recorded here by the OS as Hut Circle 'B'.
In the area centred on NG 849 291 there are 2 hut circles ('A' and 'B').
'A' is a circular level platform, 9.5m in diameter, edged by traces of a wall about 1.5m thick. No entrance evident.
'B' is set into the slope and measures 8.5m within an overgrown wall which is 1.4m thick in the S where both inner and outer faces are visible. Entrance not evident.
Below the huts and in the area to the N, are several weathered-down lynchets possibly from contemporary cultivation. There are also a few shieling bothies in the area.
Surveyed at 1/10,000. Visited by OS (J M) 5 June 1974.
This hut circle was apparently not seen during a survey by M Wildgoose in 1989 in advance of a forestry scheme. <1>
The area was visited by M Wildgoose in 2009 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. It was noted as 'site destroyed'. <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
Contary to the information above this hut circle is visible on 2009 aerial photographs. GIS spatial data amended in 2018 to location as shown on 2009 APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wildgoose, M. 1990. Auchtertyre Survey 1990. Dualchas Museums' Service. 18/02/2002. Paper and Digital.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. MW005.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. MW005.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8498 2918 (16m by 16m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.