MHG57826 - Building, Allt a’Chaolas Bhig
Building, Allt a’Chaolas Bhig
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Allt a’Chaolas Bhig
This small fluvial delta comprises an area of c. 2ha of gently north facing ground at the foot of a much steeper heather clad slope rising to the 350m contour. It is one of only three cultivable areas on the otherwise hostile south shore of the Inner Loch. It is reasonably sheltered. On the Roy map of 1750 the place is given the name of Kylishmor, Kylishbeg at that time being the name given to what is Torr a’Choit today on the north shore. This may relate to the fact that the innermost basin of Loch Hourn has long been called Loch Beag. When William Morrison drew his map in 1777, Allt a’Chaolas Bhig is named Caolisbeg and shown as occupying all the lands as far as Skiary, with no ‘corn lands’ and little grazing land, but a huge acreage of woodlands. No such settlement though appears here on the Thomson map of 1830 or on the 1st edition OS of 1869. These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2004 as part of an archaeological survey of Inner Loch Hourn.
Nineteen structures, many of them buildings, and seven areas of cultivation remains were surveyed. Six of the buildings were of similar size, rectangular in shape with pronouncedly rounded corners and were probably related to the pre improvement period, whilst one of the substantial rectangular buildings and an enclosure could almost certainly be dated to the sheep farming period. It appears then that Caolisbeg was cleared for a sheep run quite early on in the clearances. Good access can be gained almost anywhere from the loch as there is a gently sloping pebble beach. One area of the beach has been cleared. No other features were identified on the shore, possibly an indication that the main preoccupation here had always been farming.
Site: 630. A possible oval shaped building, 2.5m NE/SW x 2m internally, on a terrace, defined on the SE side by a natural crag 1.5m in ht and on the NW side by a possible stone and earth bank 0.2m in ht. Open at the NE end. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 APs <2>
<1> Wombell, J., 2004, A Report on the Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn and Barrisdale Bay by Members of NOSAS, p.22 Site 630 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG25084.
<2> Get Mapping, 1999-2001, Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map) (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical). SHG27491.
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J.. 2004. A Report on the Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn and Barrisdale Bay by Members of NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.22 Site 630.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map).
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8843 0614 (3m by 3m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.