MHG5785 - Bronze Spur - Loch Chaluim Chille
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD? to 1559 AD?)
- None recorded
Centred 378 687.
Found when Monkstadt Loch was drained (Loch Chaluim-Cille, drained 1763 and 1824) some 30 years ago: a chased and jewelled, bronze spur of prob. 11th or 12th century date; it closely resembles one figured at p.104 of Fiarholts 'Costume in England', which is described as having been of the kind used in tournaments (J A Smith 1862).
It was exhibited at the Archaeol Inst. In 1845 by a Robert Cole Esq. of 14 Tokenhouse-Yard, London. (Anon 1845)
Visited by OS (C F W) 9 November 1960.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Smith, J A. 1862. 'Notice of bronze relics, etc., found in the Isle of Skye', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 3 1857-60, p.101-6. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 101-6. 103-4; illust..
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Anon. 1881. 'Notices of archaeological publications', Archaeol J Vol. 38 1881, p.239-49. Archaeol J. 239-49. 249.
- --- Collection/Project Archive: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2012. Digital site gazetteer and archive for ARCH Community Timeline Project: Broadford. Yes. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NG 3779 6869 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
- SPUR (Early Medieval to Medieval - 561 AD? to 1559 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/11183 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.