MHG57853 - Building, Leac an Aiseig

Summary

Building, Leac an Aiseig

Type and Period (1)

  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Leac an Aiseig
This name covers a section of uninhabited coastline with occasional cleared landing places and isolated possible sheiling huts. The name Aiseig implies the presence of a ferry, and it would have been a handy place to cross over to Caolasmor on the north side where a recognised path to Arnisdale started. There is quite a tide rip though the Caolas Mor at certain times of the tide. These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2004 as part of an archaeological survey of Inner Loch Hourn.

Site 703. The remains of a substantial rectangular building, 6m EW x 2.25m internally. Walls standing to 0.75m of large boulders topped with turf, partly tumbled. Some boulders up to 0.6m cubed. Corners rounded externally squarer internally. No obvious entrance. It lies c18m from the public footpath. There are no other associated structures and no cultivable ground for miles around. It is out of site of the beach and the loch. Possibly another isolated family sized sheiling or a clearance house. <1>

Note; Site not visible on APs so location approximate. (T Blackie 9/5/18)


<1> Wombell, J., 2004, A Report on the Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn and Barrisdale Bay by Members of NOSAS, p.25 Site 703 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG25084.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NG 8964 0642 (8m by 8m)
Map sheet NG80NE
Geographical Area SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Civil Parish GLENELG

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (0)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.