MHG579254 - Schoolhouse, building, Skiary
Schoolhouse, building, Skiary
Type and Period (2)
- BUILDING? (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SCHOOLHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
These sites were recorded by NOSAS in 2004 as part of an archaeological survey of Inner Loch Hourn. This a substantial crofting settlement as seen today, on the exposed outwash fan of a river, the Allt Coire Mhicrail, where most of the numerous houses and other buildings have long since been deserted. Skiary remains a home today with one occupied dwelling house and ancillary buildings. Some 85 sites were identified and recorded here.
The shoreline structures are particularly numerous and complex, reflecting the importance of Skiary during the hay-days of the herring fishing period and warrant a more detailed survey at some time. The river at Skiary is very destructive when in spate and it breaks out of its main channel spreading rock and stone debris over a wide area. It has taken away several bridges and buildings in the past and there have been numerous attempts to contain it. The land today is divided up into small fields, plots and enclosures with dozens of clearance cairns everywhere. There is very little evidence of lazy bed cultivation and it is presumed that any lazy beds on the lower ground have long since been levelled out by later plot working. Several such plots are well defined by shallow ditches.
The shore line at Skiary shows signs of much development, evidence of the fact that it was an important port and victualling station for the herring buses of the 18th and early 19th centuries, and due to their complexity would warrant a plane-table survey. (Note; NOSAS undertook this survey of Skiary waterfront in 2006 - see p. 39)
Site 561. Two linked structures. The first structure is upstanding from 0.5m to 1.5m and is c 3m x 2m in size on an E/W axis. It has rounded corners. There is an entrance in the N wall. The second structure is rectilinear and remains only as a setting of large random boulders up to 0.7m in size and could be an earlier structure than the first. The second is shown as a schoolhouse on the Admiralty chart of 1853. The first post-dates 1853. The second could have been destroyed in a spate or robbed out to build the first further back from the burn. <1>
1st Edition OS 6" <2>
A report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn <3>
NGR adjusted based on 1999-2001 Aps <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J.. 2004. A Report on the Archaeological Survey of Inner Loch Hourn and Barrisdale Bay by Members of NOSAS. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.36 Site 561.
- <2> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. 1873-6. Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map: Inverness-shire. Digital.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wombell, J. 03/2007. A Report on the 2006 Archaeological Survey of Loch Hourn, Inverness-shire. North of Scotland Archaeological Society. Digital. p.39.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 1999-2001. Get Mapping colour vertical aerial photography 1999-2001 (The Millennium Map). XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 9291 0705 (7m by 8m)|
|Geographical Area||SKYE AND LOCHALSH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.