MHG58851 - Hut circle - Isle of Ewe
A hut circle on Isle of Ewe.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- DITCH (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC? to 560 AD?)
- None recorded
A hut circle on Isle of Ewe.
Roundhouse with a diameter of 7.5m and a SE facing entrance. It also has a ditch around the outside of the E half probably to deflect water coming down the slope. The site was recorded in 2014 by D Malone, A MacInnes & J Buchanan as part of an archaeological survey of Isle Ewe. <1>
184536 888442 JAN030 Isle Ewe 4: The hut circle was visited by A MacInnes in 2010 as part of research for a dissertation on hut circles in Wester Ross for A Welti. This was part of a degree course overseen by Aberdeen University. This circular stone structure is in good condition with wall facings and the ring bank visible as well as a clear entrance. The site is in a surrounding landscape of heather and grass with the platform built out from a moderate SW facing slope below a ridge. Inside the HC vegetation is almost entirely heather. There are no associated field systems visible. JAN030 is 10m N of a stream and the sea loch Loch Ewe is 400m to the W. Views from the site are panoramic over land and sea. A ditch runs around 60% of the HC's circumference, covering the whole NW and NE arcs. The average inner diameter of the HC is 5.3m and the outer diameter is 7.35m. The wall appears double skinned and is 1m thick with maximum height 0.7m. A definite entrance faces SE with both external and internal width 0.7m, and passage length 2m. The entrance terminals appear to be extended. The structure is submerged by heather. JAN030 is about 1000m from JAN025 (see MHG58802) and 600m from JAN024 (see MHG58809). <2> <3>
[Note: a database was set up as part of research for the dissertation and was subsequently expanded as an extension of the We Digs Project (see website link below). The full access database can be made available to enquirers/researchers if requested - contact HER for details].
Spatial data created in 2019 based on feature as seen on 2014 vertical APs. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Malone, B, MacInnes, A & Buchanan, J. 2014. A History and Survey of Isle Ewe. Unaffiliated. 2018. Digital. p.51 Site 62.
- <2> Text/Manuscript: Welti, A.. 2012. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye. University of Aberdeen. Yes. Digital. JAN030.
- <3> Dataset/Database File: Welti, A.. 2009-2016. Roundhouses of Wester Ross and parts of Skye: project database. Lochbroom Field Club. Yes. Digital. JAN030.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2014. Getmapping aerial photography 2014. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NG 8453 8845 (13m by 13m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.wedigs.co.uk (View the WeDigs in Wester Ross Project website)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.