MHG59089 - Air Raid Shelter - Port War Signal Station, South Sutor
Possible structure associated with the Second World War Port War Signal Station.
Type and Period (1)
- AIR RAID SHELTER (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Located on the west side and above the field that lies between the remains of the Port War Signal Station and the South Sutor battery is a shuttered concrete air raid shelter. The shelter is aligned N-S internally with an entrance passage leading E from the S end to the entrance. The entrance is protected by a blast wall and roof. At the N end of the shelter there is an emergency exit. <1>
GIS spatial daa copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
The building was included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. <3>
For other installation associated with the Second World War Port War Signal Station, see also MHG36394, MHG59091, MHG59092.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331830.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 427. XY
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8089 6701 (13m by 23m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331830/south-sutor-port-war-signal-station-air-raid-shelter (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.