MHG36394 - Signal Station and Camp - Port War Signal Station, South Sutor
Part of the Second World War Port War Signal Station.
Type and Period (2)
- SIGNAL STATION (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- MILITARY CAMP (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Signal Station and Camp at South Sutor.
The Port War Signal Station for the Cromarty Firth is situated on the W side of the South Sutor coast battery. The signal station has been demolished, but several buildings constructed of wood, concrete and asbestos sheeting forming part of the hutted camp are extant, albeit in very poor condition.
A group of huts comprising the former WW I and WW II Port War Signal Station. The huts are constructed of wood, concrete and asbestos sheets and are in varying stages of dilapidation.
The Port War Signal Station is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945).
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, SW, GS)
The location of the Second World War PWSS (Port War Signal Station)and the associated Royal Navy camp site lie S of the Fire Command Post (MHG34268) on a level terrace. Seven buildings are visible to the S of the Fire Command Post on a 1945 RAF air photograph (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945), three of which have camouflage paint schemes on their roof. The signal station comprised one building at NH 80893 06983. The rest of the buildings provided accommodation for navy camp. Only two buildings remain standing at the N end of the terrace while the rest survive as footings.
There is no evidence of this site being in use during the First World War. <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
The site of the signal station lies within the area included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. 4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 59.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 173676.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 428, 450. XY
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8086 6697 (65m by 142m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Part of: Coastal Battery - South Sutor (Monument) (MHG8373)
- Related to: Air Raid Shelter - Port War Signal Station, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG59089)
- Related to: Engine House - Port War Signal Station, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG59091)
- Related to: Engine House - Port War Signal Station, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG59092)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/173676 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.