MHG59092 - Engine House - Port War Signal Station, South Sutor
Part of the Second World War Port War Signal Station.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTERY ENGINE HOUSE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- None recorded
Located by the modern gate at the end of the public road to the South Sutor battery is a semi sunken bunker which was a Royal Navy engine house for the Port War Signal Station, Navy camp and the controlled minefield. Local residents however report that wooden shelving for shells was removed in the 1950's from this building. It is similar in layout to the other engine house just to the ESE (see MHG59091). <1>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
For other installation associated with the Second World War Port War Signal Station, see also MHG36394, MHG59091, MHG59089.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8083 6708 (16m by 16m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331833/south-sutor-engine-house (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.