MHG59126 - Spearhead - Black Isle
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A spearhead is listed from the Black Isle by Coles in both his 1969-60 and 1963-64 papers on Scottish Bronze Age metalwork. <1> <2>
This spearhead from the NMS collection (DG 109) was catalogued and photographed as part of the North Kessock & District Local History Society and Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH) collaborative 'Feats of Clay' Project, which was focused on Bronze Age metalworking around the Moray Firth. According to museum records its find circumstances are unknown, it is probably from the Black Isle, and it was donated to the NMS in 1960. It was assigned a Middle Bronze Age date. <3>
Described in the NMS catalogue as bronze, looped with a leaf-shaped blade. Damaged socket at base and cracked across centre. Looped half way down socket, one broken. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davis, R.. 2012. 'The Early and Middle Bronze Age Spearheads of Britain' Prähistorische Bronzefunde v, band 5. Volume 5. 89 (462).
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Davis, R.. 2015. 'The Late Bronze Age Spearheads of Britain' Prähistorische Bronzefunde v, band 7. Volume 5. 89 (462).
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1962. ''Scottish Late Bronze Age metalwork: typology, distributions and chronology'', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 93 1959-60, p.16-134. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 16-134. 80.
- <2> Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 144.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Clark, G., Cowie, T. & Kruse, S. 2017. Feats of Clay. Cat. No. 73. XY
- <4> Dataset/Database File: National Museums of Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums of Scotland. Digital. DG 109.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6500 5800 (10m by 10m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
- SPEARHEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-357-C& (Link to online NMS catalogue record)
- https://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-100-034-357-C& (Link to online SCRAN record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.