MHG59147 - Searchlight Battery - Coast Battery, Site No. 3, South Sutor
Part of the First World War Site No. 3, 4 inch QF Battery.
Type and Period (1)
- SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
Two searchlight emplacements (or electric light emplacement as annoated on the plan of the site (The National Archive WO 78/5192)), part of the 4-inch QF coast battery are located below the military camp (see MHG59148) just at the cliff edge.
The surviving structures comprise a low concrete wall with a bay shaped front, with a concrete closet to the rear. Originally a metal frame work would have supported a canvas or wooden roof and walls. Traces of the path to the military camp survive. <1>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <2>
The searchlight emplacements was included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. <3>
For other installations associated with the First World War (Site No. 3) 4 inch battery site, see also MHG36173, MHG59848, MHG59149.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331855.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 274. XY
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8082 6730 (23m by 6m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331855/south-sutor-coast-battery-searchlight-battery (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.