MHG36173 - Gun Emplacements - Coastal Battery, Site No. 3, South Sutor
4 inch gun emplacements for the First World War battery site at South Sutor.
Type and Period (3)
- GUN EMPLACEMENT (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- COASTAL BATTERY (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- MAGAZINE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
NH86NW 11.08 c.8085 6727
This World War I coast battery is situated down a steep slope just W of Charlies' Seat. There are emplacements for 2 x 4-inch QF (quick firing) guns with underground magazines immediately to the rear. In addition there are two searchlight emplacements below. The entrances to the magazines still show camouflage paint in good condition. The remains of the accommodation camp for the crew can still be seen on the gorund above the battery. <1>
See link below to HES Canmore record for old photographs of the site and also photographs of the site from 2011 contributed by M. Briscoe.
The 4-inch QF (Quick Firing) battery (site no. 3) lies at the foot of the South Sutor, on steeply sloping ground. The battery comprised two 4 -inch guns with a partially buried magazine to the rear. The holdfast for each gun and the concrete apron are visible in dense vegitation. Directly behind each gun emplacement is a flight of steps leading to the magazine. On the walls of the W stair there is well preserved First World War Camouflage paint scheme. The Magazine building comprises a half arched corridor between the two entrance stairways, with a possible watch office on the N side, and two rooms on the S side. A single doorway leads into the W room, which also has a metal framed window. From this room a doorway enters the E room which was the magazine room. <2>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <3>
The gun emplacement was included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. <4>
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Guy, J. A.. 2000. Highland Region: A Survey of the 20th Century Defences. Historic Scotland. 30/01/2001. Digital (scanned as PDF). Vol.2, 95, Vol.3, 49-52.
- <2> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 170777.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 419. XY
- <4> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8088 6727 (24m by 24m) (Buffered by site type)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (4)
- Part of: Coastal Battery - South Sutor (Monument) (MHG8373)
- Related to: Engine House - Coast Battery, Site No. 3, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG59149)
- Related to: Military Camp - Coast Battery, Site No. 3, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG59848)
- Related to: Searchlight Battery - Coast Battery, Site No. 3, South Sutor (Monument) (MHG59147)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/170777 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.