MHG59149 - Engine House - Coast Battery, Site No. 3, South Sutor
Part of the First World War Site No. 3, 4inch QF Battery. A later structure of unknown purpose was built on top .
Type and Period (2)
- BATTERY ENGINE HOUSE (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD?)
- STRUCTURE (First World War to Second World War - 1914 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- None recorded
An engine house, annotated as 'Power House' on a plan of the site (The National Archives WO 78/5192).
A later structure on the site of the power house comprising a large concrete base with a brick building of unknown purpose constructed on top may date to a later building phase during the First World War or a Second World War building which was abandoned and unroofed by August 1945 (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945). <1> <2>
GIS spatial data crated 2018 based on OS Master Map (represents later building). <3>
For other installations associated with the First World War (Site No. 3) 4 inch battery site, see also MHG36173, MHG59848, MHG59147.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331856.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 275.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8084 6726 (13m by 12m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331856/south-sutor-coast-battery-engine-house (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.