MHG59848 - Military Camp - Coast Battery, Site No. 3, South Sutor
Part of the First World War Site No. 3, 4 inch QF battery.
Type and Period (1)
- MILITARY CAMP (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
The military camp for the 4-inch QF (Quick Firing) Coast Battery lies uphill and to the W of the gun emplacements (see MHG36173). Constructed on a steep N facing slope the camp comprised officers quarters (NH 80845 67251), NCO and men’s quarters (NH 80821 67272), a cookhouse (NH 80840 67278), latrines (NH 80837 67286), power house (see MHG59149) and a stairway beside a slipway (incline) down which the guns, machinery, stores and construction materials must have been brought. The concrete blocks that supported the wooden slipway can be traced down the hillside. Where the slope was cut into and the terraces built for the buildings are still visible as earthwork features. The pathways to the gun emplacement and steps beside the cook house are still extant. A later structure on the site of the power house comprising a large concrete base with a brick building of unknown purpose constructed on top may date to a later building phase during the First World War or a Second World War building which was abandoned and unroofed by August 1945 (106G/UK/751, 6035-6037, flown 31 August 1945). <1>
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied by AKK from the RCAHMS World War One Survey project. <2>
The camp was included in the scheduling for the South Sutor Battery with effect from 29/04/2019. <3>
For other installations associated with the First World War (Site No. 3) 4 inch battery site, see also MHG36173, MHG59147, MHG59149.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331834.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 269-273. XY
- <3> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13571: South Sutor Battery, batteries and camp. Historic Environment Scotland. 01/05/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8082 6724 (43m by 91m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13571 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331834/south-sutor-coast-battery-huts (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.