MHG59170 - Searchlight Battery - Coast Battery, Site No. 2, North Sutor
Searchlight battery associated with the First World War Site No. 2, 4 inch QF Battery.
Type and Period (1)
- SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (First World War - 1914 AD to 1918 AD)
- None recorded
A Searchlight Battery, comprising two searchlight emplacements are located below the cliffs by the shore and c.80m to the W of the 4-inch QF battery. These are both First World War emplacements and are identical to others on the North and South Sutor. They comprise a low concrete wall with remains of a metal frame probably to support a canvas or wooden walls and roof. Both have a concrete closet to the rear.
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 30 July 2013. <1> <2>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <3>
For other installations associated with the First World War (Site No. 2) 4 inch QF battery site, see also MHG35178, MHG59094, MHG59898.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331878.
- <2> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 654.
- <3> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8113 6868 (17m by 8m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331878/north-sutor-coast-battery (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.