MHG59174 - Engine House - Coast Battery, North Sutor
Engine house associated with the Second World War 6 inch Battery site.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTERY ENGINE HOUSE (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Some 50m NE of the Battery Observation Post (see MHG35181) is an engine house buried into the ground. Access to the engine house is down wide stairway which includes a slipway for lowering the engine into the building. The single room has an engine plinth in the middle with vent for the exhaust in the rear SW wall.
Visited by RCAHMS (AKK) 7 August 2013.
GIS spatial data copied from data supplied from RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. <1>
The North Sutor camps, batteries and associated buildings and features were scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland with effect from 26/03/2019. <2>
For other installations associated with the Second World War 6 inch battery site, see also
MHG35180, MHG35177, MHG35179, MHG35981, MHG35183, MHG38497, MHG46669, MHG46670, MHG59141, MHG59896, MHG59178, MHG34271, MHG35182.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 332220.
- <1> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. Site 99. XY
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2019. Addition to the Schedule of Monuments: SM13570: North Sutor Battery, batteries and camps. Historic Environment Scotland. 27/03/2019. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8219 6900 (8m by 10m)|
|Geographical Area||ROSS AND CROMARTY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM13570 (View online HES designation record)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/332220/north-sutor-coast-battery (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.