MHG59668 - Drill Hall - Gower Street, Brora
No summary available.
Type and Period (5)
- (Former Type) DRILL HALL (20th Century - 1901 AD to 2000 AD)
- LIBRARY (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- COMMUNITY CENTRE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- DRILL HALL (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- FIRING RANGE (Modern - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- None recorded
The Gower Street drill hall is reported by Osborne (2006) as being of pre-First World War date. It seems to have replaced an earlier hall, marked on the 2nd edition 1:2500 map only 50m to the north (see MHG59667). The building has imposing harled façade with stone detailing, door and window surrounds, and two plain pillars flanking the door. Above the door is a triple window with pediment with round window above. There is a single bay on both sides. The hall lies behind. A building and indoor firing range which is still in use as a drill hall/TA centre lies behind the former Drill Hall.
In 1914 the building was drill station for "F" Squadron, 2nd Lovat's Scouts and base for "D" Company, 5th battalion, Seaforth Highlanders.
It is now in use as a community centre/library.
Recorded as part of HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project 2013. <1> <2> <3>
GIS spatial data created 2019 based on OS Master Map. <4>
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Osbourne, M. 2006. Always Ready: Drill Halls of Britain's Volunteer Forces. pp 270.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 331773.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Barclay, G.J.. 2014. The Built Heritage of the First World War in Scotland: The report of a project commissioned by Historic Scotland & RCAHMS. Unaffiliated. Digital. pp. 66, Table 46.
- <3> Collection/Project Archive: Kilpatrick, A K. 2014. RCAHMS World War One Survey Project. Digital. No. 393.
- <4> Image/Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Mastermap. Digital. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 9054 0384 (42m by 52m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/331773/brora-gower-street-drill-hall (Link to online HES Canmore record)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.