MHG59885 - Port, slipway, Port na h-eithier, North-Western Rhu Peninsula
Port, slipway at Port na h-eithier, North-Western Rhu Peninsula
Type and Period (2)
- LANDING POINT (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- SLIPWAY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
This area, as with Western Rhu, is now part of Rhu Farm, with no concentrated settlement but with a scattering of old cultivation and peat digging areas. It was surveyed in 2013 by Rough Bounds Archaeology et al.
Site 28. Port na h-eithier (or Port na h-eathear) Port of the boats. Cleared slipway with a level natural raised area that would once have been cobbled for landing goods. The port was once the only landing area for Arisaig and beyond (apart from Port na Sroine at Dubh Chamas) But both ports very subject to the vagaries of the weather. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2012 aerial photographs. <2>
|Grid reference||Centred NM 6232 8486 (10m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||ARISAIG AND MOIDART|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (0)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.